National Dance Project Presentation Grant
Presentation Grants are tied to NDP Production Grant and Touring Award projects (view project details in the August 2014 and December 2014 publications), supporting up to 50% of the artist's fee, including housing, per diem, and travel, to U.S. presenters on the tour.
More About NDP Presentation Grants
NDP Presentation grants are made directly to U.S. nonprofit organizations (a.k.a. presenters) presenting NDP projects on tour to support up to 50% of the artist’s fee, including housing, per diem, and travel. These grants support the dance field by making it possible for presenters to bring artists and companies into their communities, enabling audiences across the nation to experience work by some of today’s most creative and compelling dance artists. Each year, 25 to 30 NDP projects are featured in engagements in an average of 250 communities across the country. These touring engagements create new connections between the public and artists, offer unique opportunities for artistic growth, and increase access to the arts and the creative process.
How It Works:
Projects with touring support from NDP through either a Production Grant or Touring Award receive up to $35,000 in reserved funds to support a U.S. tour. Each NDP project has a designated tour coordinator who is responsible for negotiating directly with presenters to determine the amount of subsidy each presenter on the tour will receive, and submitting a tour plan with this information to NEFA by a given deadline. NEFA then invites those presenters on the submitted tour plan to apply for a Presentation Grant. In order to be invited to apply for a Presentation Grant, a presenter must be included on a project’s tour plan and meet all eligibility requirements (see below).
Information about current NDP projects, including tour coordinator details, is listed in the August 2014 and December 2014 National Dance Project Award publications. Interested presenters should contact the tour coordinator as soon as possible to find out details about the project, negotiate fees and NDP subsidy, and confirm the project’s NDP Touring Period. The NDP Touring Period is the 18-month window in which the NDP project may be presented with touring subsidy available to presenters through an NDP Presentation Grant.
Presentation Grant deadlines occur twice a year in November and April approximately four weeks after tour coordinators submit tour plans to NEFA. See Process & Deadlines below for more information.
To be eligible for a Presentation Grant, applicants must:
- Be included on a tour plan for an NDP project. See the most recent August 2014 and December 2014 National Dance Project Award publications for eligible projects and tour coordinator information.
- Be a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, unit of state or local government, institution of higher education, or a Federally-recognized Indian tribal government. Nonprofit organizations do not have to be arts organizations.
- Present at least one public performance of the NDP project during the artist or company’s NDP Touring Period.*
There is no limit to the number of Presentation Grants a presenter may receive, but a separate application must be submitted for each NDP project.
NDP Presentation Grants will NOT fund:
- A presentation already receiving funding through another NEFA grant program including FUSED, NEST, or Expeditions.
- The presentation of a work not currently supported by NDP, even if the work is by an artist/company with NDP support for a different work.
- Presentations that take place outside the project’s specific NDP Touring Period, unless the express written approval by NEFA has been received prior to the time of application.
- Engagements without at least one public performance of the NDP-supported work, such as fundraisers, school performances, or competitions.
Engagements which have already taken place.
* The NDP Touring Period is the 18-month window in which touring subsidy is available to presenters through an NDP Presentation Grant and is specific to each project.
Process & Deadlines
- Eligible organizations interested in presenting an NDP project should first contact the project's tour coordinator. Current NDP projects and tour coordinators are listed in the August 2014 and December 2014 National Dance Project Award publications.
- Tour coordinators negotiate directly with presenters who will be part of the NDP tour and determine the amount of subsidy each presenter will receive.
- Tour coordinators submit a tour plan to NEFA on either the October or March tour plan deadline, depending on the project’s NDP Touring Period. Tour plans should confirm the presenters on the NDP tour, the artist fee (including housing, per diem, and travel), and the amount and percentage of tour subsidy for each organization, not to exceed 50% of the artist fee (including housing, per diem, and travel).
- NEFA reviews eligibility and invites presenters included on the submitted tour plans to apply for an NDP Presentation Grant for the specific amount allocated by the project’s tour coordinator.
- Presenters submit the online application for a Presentation Grant by the given deadline (approximately 30 days after the tour plan deadline).
- Presentation Grant notifications and grant award agreements will be made approximately six to eight weeks following each Presentation Grant deadline.
- Presenters receive the grant as reimbursement after the engagement takes place and upon submission and approval of a receipt form signed by the artist/company and a final report.
Deadlines - note there are two annual application deadlines:
- September, 2014–February, 2015: August 2014 and December 2014 National Dance Project Award publications released; eligible organizations interested in presenting an NDP project should contact tour coordinators to engage in planning and negotiations.
- November 17, 2014: Presentation Grant application deadline (applications for engagements taking place between January 1, 2015 and May 30, 2015 must be received by this deadline). Eligible applicants apply online and must submit their application by 11:59pm EST on the deadline.
- December 2014: Presentation Grant recipients announced.
- December 2014: NDP Touring Award projects announced and released in the December 2014 National Dance Project Award publication.
- April 13, 2015: Presentation Grant application deadline (for engagements beginning June 1, 2015 or later). Eligible applicants apply online and must submit their application by 11:59pm EST on the deadline.
- May 2015: Presentation Grant recipients announced.
Grant Applications & Instructions
Contact the tour coordinator listed in the August 2014 and December 2014 National Dance Project Award publications. Organizations included in the NDP project’s tour plan will be invited to apply for a Presentation Grant.
Click below to LOG IN and RETURN to your grant request.
Requirements & Reports for Grant Recipients
Requirements (All supplemental materials should be uploaded on the attachments tab of the online grantee report.)
- Completed and submitted online grantee report (below).
- Copies of program and publicity materials (read details).
- Signed Receipt Form (read details; access the form).
- Photos of the NDP-supported engagement.
Click below to log in and begin your grantee report. You may save and return at any time.
Questions about the program or eligibility:
Sara C. Nash | Program Manager, National Dance Project
firstname.lastname@example.org | 617.951.0010 x512
Questions about the application process or grant forms:
Cheri Opperman | Grants Coordinator, National Dance Project
email@example.com | 617.951.0010 x524
Elizabeth Epsen | Program Coordinator, National Dance Project
firstname.lastname@example.org | 617.951.0010 x521